Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How do I make really crispy "skin-on" fried chicken without a deep fat fryer?

Almost every recipe I see requires a deep fat fryer. I don%26#039;t want to buy one since I would practically never use it except for fried chicken. I do have an electric skillet that is approximately 1 inch deep and can heat up to 400 degrees. No problem for me to leave the skin on, as it%26#039;s my favorite part (just about - and in moderation!).|||Just use one of your deep kitchen pots! It will do fine, that%26#039;s what I use. It will become a deep fryer!|||Marge-





I have never used a Deep Fryer for my chicken. However, I do use a large Iron Skillet filled about 1/2 way with Canola Oil.





My Granny, tought me the ol%26#039; Okie way. Entire family is from Oklahoma. We just salt the chicken, then mix up more Salt, in some flour with black pepper, then dredge the chicken in that and away we go to the skillet. Just set your heat on the stove to about Med-High and let the oil get good and hot before you place the chicken into the skillet. The Chicken will cool the oil off as you load the skillet, just be sure to not overload the skillet, about 6 to 8 pieces of Chicken per skillet is my rule of thumb.





With the Thighs and Breasts, be sure to chek them with a meat fork after you turn them over for the second time, you want to be sure they are cooking to the bones. When the juice runs clear, they are done. Just be sure you let the stove do the work, and plan on about 30 to 40 minutes cook time.





Good Luck!|||i dont know about skin on but for my kids i do potatoe chip chicken. take boneless chicken breast strips, and dip into egg wash. in a 1 gallon ziplock bag crush chips of your choice into very small pieces. spay a cookie sheet with evoo spray ( healthier than vegetable oil) roll or shake the chicken in the chips and bake until chicken is cooked. wait until chicken slides of easily to flip or you%26#039;ll lose all you chips, i use tongs to flip. serve with sauce to go with chips. for a healthier option use tortilla chips with salsa to dip.|||Just fry it in your skillet with oil half way up on the chicken. Turn it over when the first side is browned. My mom and grandmotehr never used a deep fat fryer, ever and they made fried chicken all the time. I believe Alton Brown did the same on his show GOOD EATS.|||The best way I have found to do this is to go to the local grocery store and find a product called Oven Fry. There are different flavors for chicken and pork I think. Follow directions on the box and enjoy some awesome crispy oven fried chicken.|||Try this...no frying; crispy chicken. Flour and your favorite spices. Mix. Coat chicken well, place skin side down on a baking sheet; and bake @ 400* for about 1/2 hour; turn and bake for another 1/2 hour or so. Spray pan with cooking oil(Pam). Delicious.|||Tekkaman knows how to pan-fry the birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment